Connect SP_CE and Google Drive to reduce the number of steps in your content management process. With the integration all connected files in Google Drive can be accessed directly in SPCE. No need to upload resources to SP_CE first. Replacing a file with a new version can be done in Google Drive, and is automatically updated to spaces where the file is used.
Connect Google Drive and SP_CE
To connect Google Drive and SP_CE you need to be an administrator in both Google and SP_CE.
- Go to Settings in SP_CE -> select “Integrations” -> scroll down to the Google Drive card
- Click the “Connect” button
- Choose your company’s Google account.
- Make sure to check the box to give SP_CE access to the organization’s Google Drive directory
- Select which folders you want to connect and synchronize with SP_CE
- Click “Confirm” to verify the connection
- A new popup will show if the connection was successful
Enable global resources in SP_CE
Before you can access files from Google Drive you need to enable the “global resources” feature for the account (if it is not already enabled).
- Go to Settings in SP_CE – > select “Global resources”
- Enable global resources in the top rigth corner by toggling the switch
- Confirm by clicking “OK” in the popup
- Select the “Google Drive” tab to see the list of synchronized files and folders
Add files from Google Drive in a space
- To add a file in the resource panel for a space -> open the space -> select “Resources” in the bottom menu
- Click “Add” -> select “New File”
- In the “Upload file” section -> click “Add form global resources” -> select the “Google Drive” tab
- Select the files you want to add and click the “Add” button
- Click “Save” and the files will be added to the space (a Google Drive icon will show next to the file name to indicate it’s origin)
To delete a file, click the three dots menu by hovering over the file in the list. In the menu select “Delete”. The file will be removed from the resource panel in the space but not form global resources or Google Drive. Adding files from Google Drive in a template works in the same way.
Manage folders and files in Google Drive
- Files and folders that are synchronized from Google Drive to SP_CE are managed in Google Drive.
- To update a file, make the changes and save it with the same title in Google Drive. All changes will be visible in SP_CE global resources.
- To remove a file completely, delete it from the Google Drive.
- When a file is deleted that is being used in a space, a placeholder file is displayed and the host notified
- When a file is updated to a new version and is used in a space, it is automatically updated to the new version and the host is notified